PHEW! Is there anything that doesn't cause split ends!!??
Unfortunately there isn't much you can do to repair your damaged hair once you have split ends. The only effective way to rid your hair of split ends is to have them cut off.
Once you get your hair cut and all the split ends removed, do not ignore your hair! You should trim your hair about every six weeks to prevent split ends returning.
A lot of women think the length of their hair is more important then their split ends... "I'm trying to grow my hair... If I skip my next trim my hair will grow longer, faster!"
WRONG! Do not ignore your split ends, because once they are there, they will only get worse. The longer you leave them, the further they will climb up the hair shaft. When you finally go for a trim, you will have no choice by to chop off even MORE of your hair!
It is better to have regular trims and keep those split ends at bay!
There are a few products that can temporarily cure your split ends by sealing and coating the split ends and smoothing them down. However, as soon as your hair is washed or brushed, they will re-appear. Intensive conditioning treatments offer a temporary solution by reconstructing the hair shaft.
But the only real solution for split ends is simply to avoid them.
How to avoid split ends:
- Do not brush your hair when it's wet. Wet hair stretches up to 25% and is most vunerable. Use a wide tooth comb to gently de-tangle your hair.
- Give your colored or permed hair the extra care it deserves. Use appropriate hair treatments.
- Heated appliances such as hair dryers and straightening irons can dry out your hair and make it brittle. Avoid these appliances as much as possible. If you have to use them, use a protective product.
- Let your hair dry naturally whenever you can; have a day, perhaps Sunday where you don't blow dry your hair, use product or straighten your hair.
- Rather than towel drying your hair, try to blot it gently instead.
- Avoid using rubber bands to tie up your hair. Use covered elastic bands, preferably the ones without the metal, as these can pull and tear your hair.
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet. Your health and diet can affect your hair condition - a low fat diet can cause dull, dry hair which will split faster because there is not enough lubrication on the hair follicle.